University of Florida Homepage

Alumni Adventures: Charles Roop

My name is Charles Roop – Broadcast and Digital Meteorologist at WCTV-TV in Tallahassee, Florida

He/him/his

When did you attend UF? What degrees/certificates did you earn in the Department of Geography?

After earning my A.A. from the College of Central Florida in 2006, I transferred to UF and graduated with a B.S. in Geography and a certificate in Climate and Meteorology in 2010. I came to UF initially studying Journalism with a focus on photojournalism, but – long story short – changed majors to Geography.

What is your greatest memory from your time as a GeoGator?

There were many! But I would say storm chasing in the summers with Dr. Matyas and my fellow classmates to aid in her research had some of the greatest memories. We never saw tornadoes or anything to that level, but it was a great experience.

How do you use what you learned in the UF Geography Department in your life?

The material I learned and experiences I have gained at the Geography Department helped me a lot in my next step. After UF, I went to Mississippi State University to earn my M.S. in Geosciences with a focus in operational meteorology. For my graduate thesis, I studied the spatial patterns of tornadogenesis from landfalling and nearby tropical cyclones in Florida. I earned my M.S. in 2013. Without the classes and mentoring from Dr. Matyas and others in the department, I likely wouldn’t be where I am at now.

Do you have a message to share with current/prospective students?

You may run into many roadblocks and challenges along your journey. But, if you think your goal is really worth it, keep fighting. It took me over three years after graduate school to get into the position I wanted.

Also, pick up as many skills that interest you as you can. My background in journalistic writing and visuals has been a valuable asset, and I have to thank those in the College of Journalism and Communications for enhancing those skills.

And one more piece of advice: Never say never!

Is there anything else you would like to share?

Go Gators!

Are there any websites or social media links I should include??

I am on Twitter 90% of the time, and can be found at @CharlesRoopWCTV. If any GeoGators want to reach out, Twitter may be one of the better contact points. I am also on Instagram (@charlesroopwx). You can find some of my work and background on my website: charleseroop.com.

If you would like to tell the world about your GeoGator Alumni Adventure, please send an email to Mike Ryan Simonovich.