Please note: Just because you meet the minimum qualifications for admission does not mean that you will be admitted. For more insight into our internal selection process, please see our page on Admission Decisions.
- Confirmation of Bachelor’s degree (if not in English, certification is required in both native language and English). This degree does not have to be in Geography.
- Transcripts listing all previous college-level courses
- 3.0 undergraduate GPA
- GRE scores: verbal score of 320 (old scale) or 140 (new scale) is the minimum that qualifies for admission
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Must already have a master’s degree OR
- Submit transcripts showing that a master’s degree is in progress (you will not be able to begin our PhD program until you have completed your master’s degree)
- Letters of recommendation and your SOP should state the date you expect to receive your master’s degree
- Your master’s degree does not have to be in Geography. If it is not, please explain why Geography is the right program for your PhD studies in your SOP.
- TOEFL scores: Minimum scores that qualify for admission are : IELTS: 6. MELAB: 77. TOEFL (Internet-Based): 80. TOEFL (Paper-Based): 550.
- Exempted countries: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/admission/english-exemption-countries.
- Foreign transcripts and separate degree certification paperwork must be sent in both the native language and English.
- GRE scores must be submitted for ALL applicants.Geography examines GRE and TOEFL scores for internaltional applicants carefully, especially when awarding teaching assistantships as the ability to speak English (not just write in English) is extremely important. If your application is not accompanied by GRE and TOEFL scores (unless from exempted country), you will not be admitted.The University MAY exempt students from meeting minimum GRE/TOEFL scores (but not from submitting test scores) if they submit transcripts showing at least one year of enrollment as a full-time student at a college or university in a country where English is official within one year before applying to UF. However, Geography has the right to set its own policies in this regard.
- If admitted, International students must acquire visas and present evidence of financial solvency.
- If foreign students wish to be teaching assistants or qualify for the Graduate Student Fellowship, they must also pass the SPEAK test here on campus BEFORE the start of the semester. According to the Graduate catalog: “To be eligible for graduate teaching assistantships, students must score at least 55 on the SPEAK Test or 28 on the Speaking Section of the Internet TOEFL to teach in the classroom, laboratory, or other instructional setting. Those who score 45 to 50 on the SPEAK Test, or 23 to 27 on the Speaking Section of the Internet TOEFL, may teach if they concurrently enroll in EAP 5836 to help their personal interaction and public speaking skills. Those who have scores below these minimums are not eligible to teach.”
Graduate students already at UF (including Geography MS/MA students applying to our PhD program):
- We can access your UF transcripts, test scores, and degree verification information online.
- Please draft a new SOP that includes the date you anticipate receiving your master’s degree.
- You must request 3 new letters of recommendation and one letter must be from your current advisor addressing your potential as a PhD student.
- You will not be able to submit your materials or letter requests online so please email your SOP and have your recommendations emailed directly to email@example.com .