UF MedGeo – Medical Geography in Global Health (MGGH)
For a flyer describing our new Medical Geography in Global Health (MGGH) B.A./B.S. tracks, including pre-health, click here.
For a flyer describing our Medical Geography program, click here.
Medical geography, an important area of global health, applies concepts, methods, and technologies from geography to investigate world-wide and regional health topics, focusing on spatial aspects of human and animal (livestock and wildlife) disease and health intervention.
The Department of Geography at the University of Florida offers a program in medical geography, complementing its existing strengths in human-environment studies and spatio-temporal analysis. There are strong ties on campus with the Emerging Pathogens Institute (EPI), the College of Veterinary Medicine, the College of Public Health & Health Professions, and the Center for African Studies, with many faculty jointly appointed. This program aims to develop skills in spatial thinking and hands-on experience for health applications. Students are prepared for positions in health agencies, non-governmental health organizations, medical research labs, and academic appointments at universities.
Medical Geography Faculty
- Spatial Epidemiology
- GIS and Remote Sensing for health applications
- Models for predicting species’ distributions
- Space/time models for understanding disease patterns
- Wildlife movement behavior during outbreaks
- Zoonotic diseases
- Vector-borne diseases
- Risk assessments
- Spatial models of risk
- Agent-based modeling for infectious diseases
- GIS/RS for environmental health
- Simulation of human health behavior
- GeoSocial network analysis
- Ecology at the human interface
- Conservation and sustainability
- Wildlife management
- Landscape disease ecology
- Vector-borne diseases (dengue and malaria)
GIS/Remote Sensing laboratories
Turlington 3018 and Turlington 3006 are our primary computer labs where all remote sensing, cartography and GIS related classes are taught.
Spatial Epidemiology & Ecology Research Laboratory (SEER Lab)
The SEER Lab is an interdisciplinary research laboratory jointly housed in the Emerging Pathogens Institute (EPI) and the Department of Geography at the University of Florida. Visit www.seerlab.org for more information.