University of Florida Homepage

Alumni Adventures: Dr. Hannah Herrero

Dr. Hannah Victoria Herrero – Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, University of Tennessee

When did you attend UF? What degrees/certificates did you earn in the Department of Geography?I attended UF from 2010-2013 (Bachelor’s in Geography with Environmental Geosciences), 2013-2015 (M.S.), and 2015-2019 (Ph.D. with a graduate certificate in Digital Geography and GIS)

What is your greatest memory from your time as a GeoGator?
This is a tough one. I would have to say that the most fun time as a GeoGator was being a part of the GeoClub as an undergraduate and getting out to explore FL….and then we would stay up in the lab all night completing our GIS labs, which was the real “GeoClub”. And having such a close-knit cohort in graduate school was really important for all our successes.

How do you use what you learned in the UF Geography Department in your life?
I use what I learned as a GeoGator everyday as a professor through research, teaching, and mentoring! I have brought UF Geography Department perspectives on landscape analysis methodologies, human-environment interactions, scale, conservation, and Africa to our undergraduate and graduate students alike at UT.

Do you have a message to share with current/prospective students?
Geography is where it’s at! This is a growing field with an in-demand job market that can address some of the most pertinent questions facing Earth and society during this century.

Is there anything else you would like to share?
As a geographer, I think it’s particularly important to travel and immerse yourself in different parts of the world, so do a study abroad or field course if you can!

Find out more about Hannah’s work at Department of Geography, University of Tennessee and follow Hannah on Twitter.

If you would like to tell the world about your GeoGator Alumni Adventure, please send an email to Mike Ryan Simonovich.