University of Florida Homepage

Andre McFadden receives Best Paper award from UF’s Journal of Undergraduate Research

Image courtesy of Mr. Andre McFadden II
Image courtesy of Mr. Andre McFadden II

Recent Geography graduate Mr. Andre McFadden II just received the Best Paper award in the Physical Science Category from UF’s Journal of Undergraduate Research for his paper El Niño – Southern Oscillation and it’s Effect on Rainfall Patterns in the Lake Mweru Basin, Zambia. Andre graduated with a B.A. in Geography with a Certificate in Meteorology and Climatology in December 2015. He wrote the paper as part of a research project with his adviser Dr. Peter Waylen, who recommended that Andre submit it to the Journal of Undergraduate Research.

“I would like to thank the instructors and TAs that I have worked with in the Department of Geography and my research adviser Dr. Waylen for giving me the opportunity to do research and write a paper,” said Andre. “I also would like to thank a former undergraduate student Marlee Henninge who introduced me to Dr. Waylen and Undergraduate Research.”

Andre intends to attend the SouthEastern Division of the Association of American Geographers (SEDAAG) conference in November, and is preparing to apply for graduate school.

“This experience has opened my eyes to new opportunities in research and I am going to take full advantage of it,” says Andre.